Arụụ Mee!

 

 



Yesterday, I heard Mummy's visitor say, "Not even a pin can be found there now. Everyone has ran for their dear life", and I wondered how long it is before it gets to us in this part. 


I turn my eyes to the road at every single noise these days; a prevent - the - danger before - it's -too - late protocol I knew was all useless. I want to protect the ones I love, at any risk, even if I have to give my life. But, my spirit and I knew how useless that wish was. Do whatever I may, I knew I was helpless, and not even my death could save others. I fear for my family, fear for my home, fear for the ones I love. I fear I might go out and not meet my home the same again. I do not base here, but this is my home, my root, and mama lives here. My kins, my relatives, people who I call my own all live here. 


I worry about my friend-turned-stranger. A once-upon-a-time good friend, Deraa. We share the same root, and Isiuzo is his home. For some confused moment, I was not sure which part was Eha-Amufu. I used to know it, used to be very sure where it's located; but I guess the fear of what lurks in the dark has stolen that knowledge. I thought, "maybe if I revel in the momentary relieve of it being somewhere far from home, I might have some peace". But alas! Somewhere within, Isiuzo screams faintly at me. That is my friend's local government. The single thought of knowing someone I once shared moments of happiness and pain with being so close to disaster..the sheer pain of seeing your loved ones and the very place you call home under threat...ah! "Eli Eli Lama sabachthani".  


My home bleeds! The utter desecration cries out to the high heavens. The slaughter. The human debased to bones, to head, to arms and feet. 


This used to be where I come to heal. But lo! All that serenity is gone! The tender chirping of the birds have become the screams of anguish from the throats of the matcheted. Our beautiful chocolate soil, surrounded with sheltering trees are all smeared with blood; the trees forming another thick isolated bushes. 


Eha-Amufu bleeds. It bleeds from the heartless massacre of the Fulani people. It bleeds from the silence of the government. That silence, which we all know is another way of their saying, "we support you, brothers. Kill on! Massacre them all rebels! And, you will surely get your reward in heaven. Ten virgins, brother. Ten virgins await each and every one of you".  


And so, the killing goes...


They said the Eastern Securities were fighting them, but today again, we heard of people fleeing for their lives. 


While I speak with mummy today, she was worried too. She said to me, "they said the fight is at Eke Eha. I lived there when I was still a nursing student. Who knows if my 'madam' and her family survived?"


I looked at her face, contorted and squeezed in thoughts, and said nothing. 


"I even heard some Fulani people fled to Ubollo. Who knows? They could start another fight there, and from there, spread to Orba and from Orba what next remains to get to us? Hmm, 'Chukwu zọba kwa anyị'. Because, where can someone run to? They now live everywhere around us. Even 'agu beanyi' is now filled with Fulani people. 'Oooo, Chineke nna, anyị nọkwa gị n'aka", she raised her hands and eyes up in form of supplication. 


I said nothing still. My throat was choked with tears, and my heart raced. I didn't cry, because that would increase my mother's worry. 


But then, my mind wouldn't stop asking, "how long really before it gets to us? The other time, it was Uzouwani. Today, it's Eha-amufu. Tomorrow, where will it be next; while the people who call themselves our protectors, the government, wash their hands to feast on the human meat and the human blood they and their hounds of brothers have silently, like fowls, hacked and slaughtered mercilessly". 


Finally finding my voice, I asked mummy, "but, I thought we have witches and wizards? All these people who claim to have powers, how come they can't use it to kill these people killing them?"


"Are you minding our people? Some people would say 'na', 'ndi ọchá tara amosu tata ezigbo ihe. Ha ji ya mepe obodo ha', but our own is to use and kill one another."  


In that split second, I wished I had some supernatural powers. But I don't have any I know of. 


And so, the killing goes....while I remain helpless...


But, I have this to say to these people who fold their hands and watch when they can help, "know you ye that, if the people living inside the city refuse to join hands with the people living at the city gate to fight off their enemies, when the people living at the city gate are defeated, they, living inside the city become the next target".


"Hmmm, Chukwu zọbakwa anyị". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Oga! Find me something" the story of the fearless security man

The love not requited: here is what you don't know

"Nsukka my Home" (video, poem and story)